One of my favorite Disneyland treats is Mickey Beignets from Cafe Orleans in New Orleans Square.
If you didn’t know, a beignet is the French term for a pastry made from deep-fried choux pastry. Beignets can also be made from other types of dough, including yeast dough, which is what these Mickey Mouse Beignets are made from.
We all know that Mickey-shaped treats taste better. And these Mickey-shaped Beignets are just what we need to bring some extra Disney magic to the home!
- ¾ cup lukewarm water
- 1 .25oz. packet active dry yeast
- ½ cup evaporated milk
- ⅓ cups sugar
- Pinch of kosher salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 4 cups flour
- 3 tbsp. butter, melted
- Canola oil for frying
- 1 Mickey Mouse Cookie Cutter
- Powdered sugar for dusting
- Using a standing mixer, combine the lukewarm water and yeast and let sit for 5 minutes to allow the yeast to dissolve.
- In a medium bowl, lightly whisk evaporated milk, sugar, salt, egg, and vanilla until lightly combined.
- Add it to the yeast mixture.
- Mix in 2 cups of flour and mix with a dough mixer for 2 minutes.
- Add in the melted butter and mix until dough is sticky and smooth.
- Mix in the remaining flour to make a soft dough.
- Place the dough onto a lightly floured cutting board and knead the dough for 2 minutes.
- Place the dough into a greased bowl and cover loosely with a clean kitchen town.
- Allow dough to rise for about 2 hours or until double in size.
- Punch the dough from the bowl.
- Roll the dough onto the lightly floured cutting board into about ¼ inch thick.
- Cut out mickey mouse shapes of dough and allow to rest for 10 minutes before frying.
- In a frying pan or deep fryer, fry the dough until they are light and fluffy.
- Place onto a paper towel.
- Dust with powdered sugar.
- INTERVIEW Ming-Na Wen Talks Animation for Pencils vs. Pixels - November 23, 2023
- INTERVIEW: Bay Dariz and Phil Earnest Talk Pencils vs Pixels - November 1, 2023
- REVIEW: Pain Hustlers on Netflix - October 28, 2023