We loved Disney parties. With Moana sailing into theatres on November 23rd, we wanted to share a fun Moana-inspired cupcake. These Polynesian-themed Moana cupcakes are perfect for a Moana or Hawaiian party.
Moana Cupcake Royal Icing Transfers (premade decorations)
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 tsp. cream of tartar
- 2 cups powder sugar
- sky blue, yellow, red, and green food coloring
- tips #2 and #109
Directions for Royal Icing Transfers
- Combine the egg whites, cream of tartar and powder sugar in a large mixing bowl, fixed with the whisk attachment.
- Mix on medium speed until stiff peaks form.
- Split into 4 bowls and add a few drops of each color into one of the bowl each. Red dye into one bowl, green into another, etc.
- Add some blue icing into a piping bag fitted with the #2 tip and another bag with the #109 tip.
- Add white into another piping bag, fitted with #2 tip
- Add in the yellow and red into 2 piping bags with #109 tips
- Using parchment paper onto a cookie sheet and pipe an oval shape with the white #2 tip piping bag.
- Fill in the oval with the white, also using the blue tip with #2 tip and pipe on the Moana logo.
- Let sit for 12 hours.
- Using another tray with parchment paper, use the piping bag with the 109 tip and make flowers.
- Let dry for 12 hours.
Moana Cupcake Ingredients
- 1/2 cup unsalted sweet cream butter softened
- 2 eggs
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
Directions for Cupcakes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Set up your cupcake pan with liners
- Using a medium bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a separate large mixing bowl, beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high for 30 seconds.
- Now add sugar, and vanilla to the butter and beat until combined.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Alternate, the flour mixture and milk to butter mixture, beating on low speed until everything is well
- mixed together
- Fill the cupcake pan liners 2/3 with cake batter
- Bake for 18-20 minutes.
- Remove cupcakes from pan and allow to cool on a wire rack for 30 minutes before frosting
Moana Cupcake Vanilla Frosting Ingredients
- 1 cup unsalted sweet cream butter
- 3 cup powder sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 3 tbsp. heavy whipping cream
- Sky blue food coloring and teal food coloring
Vanilla Frosting Directions
- Combine all ingredients into a mixing bowl and mix until stiff peaks form.
- Split into 3 bowls, add drops of the sky blue into one bowl, teal into a second bowl and leave the third bowl white.
- Scope into a piping bag fitted with a star tip.
- Pipe onto cooled cupcakes and then place the logo transfer and some flowers onto the cupcakes.