It's almost Halloween time and the Walking Dead Season 7 is also right around the corner. These Bloody Axe – The Walking Dead Cupcakes are the perfect addition to your Halloween party of Walking Dead viewing party. These chocolate cupcakes are decked out with a tiny little axe and dripping red icing blood. Fantastically creepy.
This post contains affiliate links, meaning that when you click on a link that we recommend, we may receive a small commission if you purchase a product. We wouldn’t be doing our job to pay the bills if we didn’t monetize somehow!
Walking Dead Cupcakes
- 1 3/4 cups flour
1/2 cup unsalted sweet cream butter softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup dark cocoa
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup oil
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup of unsalted butter (softened)
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 4 tbsp. heavy whipping cream
- Wilton red sparkle gel
- Wilton Royal Icing Decorations 12 ct. package of Bloody Axes
Directions for Baking the Cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cupcake pan with paper liners.
- Put flour, sugar, dark cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a mixing bowl.
- Beat with an electric mixer for about 1 1/2 minutes. Mix well.
- Scoop in the butter, mixing on medium to low speed for about 2 minutes.
- The batter will have an appearance of small crumble pieces.
- Whisk the eggs and vanilla together until the texture is smooth.
- Pour the liquid mixture into the dry ingredients beating on medium until all ingredients are blended together.
- Reduce speed to low while gradually adding milk to the above mixture. (Batter may be thin and watery.)
- Using a medium ice cream scoop fill each cupcake tin is ¾ filled.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 18–20 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow to cool briefly while in the cupcake pan then remove and place on a wire rack to cool completely.
Making the Frosting:
- Cream powdered sugar, vanilla, and butter together in a mixing bowl with an electric mixer until the mixture is light and creamy. If for some reason it doesn’t cream you can add a few drops of heavy whipping cream until it creams.
- Test to see if the frosting can form and hold a stiff peak by getting a spoonful of frosting and turning the spoon upside down to see if the frosting stays on the spoon or falls off. If it doesn’t stay on the spoon, add more powder sugar 1/4 cup at a time and mix well.
- Once frosting is ready, you can place it into a pastry bag with a large tip (we used a 13-inch tip).
- Twist the open end of the pastry bag and push the frosting to the tip. Begin to frost the cupcake edge first working inward to the center of the cupcake.
- Drizzle the red sparkle gel on the cupcake. Starting at the top and drizzle it down the sides of the white frosting. Place the bloody axe in the center of the top of the cupcake.
If you liked this, you might enjoy our Bloody Hot Chocolate