As a CK Mondavi Ambassador, I’ll be sharing wine and food ideas with you over the coming months. As always, all opinions are my own.
Fall and winter are the perfect time to enjoy a classic pot roast. My husband LOVES making a classic beef pot roast with red wine. As much as he loves to cook, pot roast is not only one of his favorite meals to enjoy but also one of his favorite meals to make. We love pairing it with a Cabernet Sauvignon like the CK Mondavi and Family Cabernet Sauvignon.
Classic Beef Pot Roast with red wine
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1 3-lb. boneless chuck roast, trimmed
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups coarsely diced onion
- 1 cup dry red wine, like Cabernet Sauvignon
- 4 fresh thyme sprigs (or 1 tbsp. dried)
- 2 fresh rosemary sprigs (or 1/2 tbsp. dried)
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 cup water
- 4 large carrots, peeled and sliced into ½” pieces
- 2 lbs. Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- Preheat oven to 350º Fahrenheit.
- Heat olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Sprinkle trimmed chuck roast with salt and pepper.
- Add roast and onions to pan; sauté 5 to 8 minutes, rotating to brown on all sides.
- Add the red wine, thyme and rosemary sprigs (or dried), bay leaf, garlic, and water to pan; bring to a simmer.
- Cover pan and bake at 350° for 2 hours minutes or until the roast and vegetables are tender and 160º.
- Remove thyme sprigs, rosemary sprigs, and bay leaf from pan and discard.
- Serve roast with vegetable mixture and cooking liquid (if desired).
- Serve with Cabernet Sauvignon.
Check out our Baked Brie in Pastry Puff
VISIT CK MONDAVI ONLINE
#CKMondaviWines #CKMondaviAmbassador #CKMondaviHoliday