I went to Las Vegas and didn’t get Roofied. However, the time I went to Vegas before that, I wasn’t so lucky. I was roofied in Vegas.
Even with vigilance and good friends around you, it’s easy enough to have someone slip something in your drink. Rohypnol is the most commonly used drug for date rape, although there are other drugs that people use.
Memorial Day weekend we were enjoying our cabana at the pool adjacent to my timeshare. Forget the reason whoever drugged us chose us…maybe we looked like MILFs, maybe they thought we had money and would be a good time, but whatever the reason, it could have been much uglier than it was. Fortunately, we ended up back in our own room, together, just sick and missing part of the day. We could have ended up hurt, raped, or worse.
As we lounged by the pool Memorial Day weekend, our drinks were beside us, next to the cabana. Someone slipped something in them as we lounged, and we were none the wiser until later. In a million years, that was not the setting in which I thought I needed to worry about date rape drugs. In a club at night, yes. At the pool by our vacation club at 10 a.m., I didn’t even think I needed to worry about it. Clearly I was mistaken.
After beginning to not feel well after just a drink and a half, I stumbled back up to our room. I felt as if I’d been drinking for hours. I could barely walk, I was confused, nauseated, drowsy. After blacking out for several hours, I could barely remember getting from the pool to the room. Everything was a haze and I’d lost about 5 hours of my day. I was dizzy, woozy, and felt like I was hung over. Even my body didn’t function well. It was like I was coming out of anesthesia and nothing worked right. Scary and weird and left me wondering what the hell had happened. My friend had been about the same. It didn’t take long to put two and two together to come up with four: we’d been drugged, roofied in Vegas.
Tips to Prevent Getting Roofied
- Don’t accept drinks from others
- Don’t leave your drink unattended
- Open all containers yourself
- Don’t share drinks
- Don’t drink the punch
- If it smells funny, don’t drink it
- Always have a designated driver or chaperone that you trust
- If you feel like you are feeling the effects of the alcohol faster than you should be, stop drinking and seek help right away
- Director Sam Raimi Brings Horror to the MCU with Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness - May 4, 2022
- Everything You Need to Know About Sox the Robot Cat from LIGHTYEAR - April 21, 2022
- Casting the Perfect LIGHTYEAR - April 21, 2022