If you have a busy household, quick mid-week dinners are often a necessity. With so many different palates in the house, sometimes it's hard to find recipes that are quick and easy to prepare, healthy, and something that all six household members won't just eat, but will actually enjoy.
When I develop a dish that all 4 of my kids will eat without complaint (and will maybe even ask for a second serving), then I consider it #winning. My Low-Fat Sesame Chicken recipe is one of those winning meals.
This recipe has much of the same flavor as a traditional sesame chicken dish, but I don't do any of the coating and frying of chicken. It's still tasty, but much healthier and lower in fat.
Jana's Low-Fat Sesame Chicken Recipe
- 1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into ½” cubes
- 1/4 c. low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tbsp. raw honey
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. sesame oil
- 1 tbsp. sesame seeds, toasted
Heat the olive oil on medium heat in a sauté pan. Add minced garlic and brown. Add cubed chicken; sauté until chicken is almost cooked through. Stir in soy sauce, honey, and chili powder; simmer until sauce thickens. Add sesame oil and simmer for another 3 minutes. Do not let the sesame oil burn. Remove from heat. Toss with sesame seeds.
I serve this low-fat sesame chicken over rice and with a green vegetable on the side. On a side note, my kids all like a little heat. If you or your kids don’t like spicy food, just reduce the amount of chili powder or skip it all together.
I hope this meal is as big a hit in your household as it is in mine.
- Disney Merriest Nites - September 15, 2021
- Disneyland Halloween Treats You Can Mobile Order - September 14, 2021
- INTERVIEW with Angela Santomero and Traci Paige Johnson of Blue's Clues - September 14, 2021