Gather the family or your buddies go for a walk, a run, a hike, or hop in the car or ride your bikes to enjoy a Pokémon Go Treasure Hunt of sorts as you go PokéStop hopping! A PokéStop appears like a blue square on a stick on the map. Use the map feature and walk, drive, or bike to areas in your local city that will be considered as non-profits, local monuments, statues and other local area attractions to see if they show one of these blue 3D icons at their location. Most college campuses and theme parks will also have a lot of PokéStop and Gyms—sometimes more than you can count!
Potential PokéStop Locations
There will be PokéStops appearing in strange locations sometimes, but here are some places to consider that you may not realize could be a PokéStop or have several PokéStops (they could also be a Pokémon Gym):
- Water tower
- Public bathroom
- Cemetary (multiple PokéStop and Gyms here usually—if you decide to play here PLEASE BE RESPECTFUL)
- Library (sometimes multiple PokéStops inside and outside)
- Hospital (if you play here, please make sure you aren't in the way of people doing their job or needing medical treatment!!)
- Flag Pole
- Shopping Center (usually look for donation boxes or nostalgic sign in parking lot)
- Sign representing a location or place
- Church (usually near the front of the sanctuary or their sign)
- Donation Drop Off Box
- Recycling Center
- College Campus (always multiple PokéStops and Gyms here)
- Historical Landmark
- Local Attraction (usually multiple PokéStops and Gyms)
- Theme Parks (tons of PokéStops and Gyms: 15 to 100+ depending on park size!)
- Mall (inside and outside at times)
- Bowling Alley
- The funniest places of all are the ones that say they exist, but are no longer physically there! They are basically “invisible” PokéStops!
Once you’ve learned where all the best PokéStop hubs are (preferably with more than one in a general area), try mapping out a route to take on a daily, or weekly basis to help build up your items collection of Poké Balls, Razz Berries, Potions, Eggs, and other exciting freebies. These items will unlock for you within the game app as your Trainer level progresses in the game. Getting these items for free this way is much better than running out of Poké Balls or Berries and having your kids begging for you to buy them more through the in-app purchases (which is NOT happening in my house).
How To Retrieve The Hidden Treasures
In order to retrieve these “must-have” treasures within the Pokémon Go game app, you’ll need to locate a PokéStop on your map. Approach that PokéStop by walking, hiking, biking, or driving towards it. Once you are close enough in proximity to the PokéStop, it will transform on your map from a blue square on a stick to a circular set of flat rings on a stick. The circle disc in the middle (the Photo Disc) will now show a full-color image of the location that Google Maps recognizes as the actual PokéStop. It will even show a name for the location. Spin this flat circle disc in the middle with a swipe of your finger or thumb and it will spit out items that start to float away in little bubbles. Click on these bubbles to retrieve the items and they will show up in a vertical line down the upper right side of your app screen with +1 symbols next to them for each one. These items are now loaded as part of your personal Items Inventory.
The favored places to add to your daily or weekly map route for visiting PokéStop would be to include ones that you notice have Lure Modules on them frequently. A Lure Module is something each Trainer attains at certain Levels within the game and can also be purchased from within the in-app “Shop.” These Lure Modules appear as floating pink petals around the general area of the PokéStop that the Lure is attached to. Each Lure lasts for 30 minutes once activated, and its purpose is to help attract wild Pokémon to that location. Since PokéStops are available for anyone to visit normally, this allows you to go up to it and grab the free items from the PokéStop plus wait and look for new wild Pokemon to catch while you are there. These Lures can attract both the usual Pokémon spawn you see at your Trainer Level as well as some harder to find rare Pokémon if you’re lucky. Often times they will have one or two really high CP Pokémon hidden in the mix you could be able to snag!
MORE POKÉMON GO TIPS ARTICLES
Latest posts by Jana (see all)
- 100 Best Marvel Movie Quotes - October 13, 2019
- Get the Collectible Toy Story 4 SteelBook available October 8 - October 7, 2019
- Frozen White Chocolate Milkshake - October 4, 2019