Bubble and Squeak is a traditional English dish made with shallow-fried vegetables. We usually make ours with potatoes, cabbage, and onion. The kids love it, and it's fairly filling and very inexpensive. Slathered with ketchup, what's not to love?
Tonight we had Bubble and Squeak as dinner served with a side of green beans as part of the Live Below the Line Challenge we are participating in.
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 small head of green cabbage, cubed into ½ inch pieces (about 1.5 to 2 lbs. of cabbage)
- 1 lb. white potatoes, cut
Peel and cut potatoes; boil until tender
Chop cabbage into roughly ½ inch cubes pieces and finely chop onion. Add olive oil to frying pan; heat. Add the cabbage and onion. Sauté until lightly brown. Reduce heat and continue to cook for a few minutes until potatoes are ready to add. Add potatoes and cook until you are able to smash the potatoes and cabbage together for an even consistency.
Serve warm with salt and pepper and ketchup to taste.
Bubble and Squeak doesn’t necessarily provide a huge amount of nutritional value, but it does provide some. Cabbage is high in beta-carotene, vitamin C, and fiber. A 3.5-oz. serving of raw cabbage provides 1.28 g of protein and 2.5 g of dietary fiber. According to Wikipedia, humans can survive fairly well on potato with a little milk and butter. Potato is considered a staple food, and a 3.5-oz. serving of raw potato provides 2 g of protein. The Bubble and Squeak dish cost just shy of $2.00 for 6 servings (including the onion, olive oil, and ketchup), so it easily fits within the $1.50 mel allowance for the challenge.
- Disney Merriest Nites - September 15, 2021
- Disneyland Halloween Treats You Can Mobile Order - September 14, 2021
- INTERVIEW with Angela Santomero and Traci Paige Johnson of Blue's Clues - September 14, 2021