Today's #NaBloPoMo prompt is “What is the coolest thing you ever saw?”
Wikipedia defines “cool” as
“Something regarded as cool is an admired aesthetic of attitude, behavior, comportment, appearance and style, influenced by and a product of the Zeitgeist. Because of the varied and changing connotations of cool, as well its subjective nature, the word has no single meaning. It has associations of composure and self-control…and often is used as an expression of admiration or approval. Although commonly regarded as slang, it is widely used among disparate social groups, and has endured in usage for generations.”
It’s hard to define the coolest thing I’ve ever seen. I’ve seen quite a few things over the years that I would describe as cool.
- I've been in an airplane flying over the Atlantic Ocean and it appeared to be engulfed in lightning during a lightning storm.
- I've had the blessing of seeing the Aurora Borealis on many occasions. I grew up in the middle of nowhere and the benefit of that is not having city lights obscuring the Northern Lights when they do appear.
- This spring, I got to experience tear gas for the first—and hopefully last—time. That was a pretty freaking cool experience.
- At 16 years old, I got to celebrate my birthday at a medieval castle celebration in Ireland. That same trip, I got to see the Cliffs of Moher; the white nights in St. Petersburg, Russia; the Hermitage; the Kremlin; the Bolshoi Ballet; and the Moscow Circus.
- At 15 years old, I got to experience the Louvre, the Musée d'Orsay, and the Eiffel Tower.
See my dilemma? What is the coolest thing I’ve ever seen changes every time I see another really cool thing. I kind of like it that way. How boring would life be if you saw the coolest thing ever at, say, age 20, and never saw anything cooler? It seems to me like it wouldn’t be a very fulfilling life.
So what’s the coolest thing you’ve ever seen?
- Disney Merriest Nites - September 15, 2021
- Disneyland Halloween Treats You Can Mobile Order - September 14, 2021
- INTERVIEW with Angela Santomero and Traci Paige Johnson of Blue's Clues - September 14, 2021